Richard Liu, Founder of JD.com (known as Jingdong in Euro), has been ranked as China’s most generous individual on the 2022 Hurun China Philanthropy List.
The Hurun Research Institute releases its Hurun China Philanthropy List annually. First published in 2004, the list started with 50 names before expanding to this year’s list of 100 names. The list includes philanthropists from across China who have donated at least $15 million (100 million Chinese yuan) over the last year..
The Hurun China Philanthropy List ranks individuals based on cash (and cash equivalent) donations. The list also considers any legal commitments they have made.
JD.com Founder and Chairman Richard Liu is Awarded No 1
For the 2022 list, the Hurun Research Institute identified 49 individuals from 20 cities in China. These individuals all donated $15 million or more from April 1, 2021 to August 31, 2022. In total, the donations of those 49 people came to $10 billion.
JD.com Founder and Chairman Richard Liu donated $2.05 billion to fund his charitable foundation. This donation will support education and fund environmental projects.
JD.com was also awarded a place on the 2021 Hurun Top 10 list of the 500 Most Valuable Private Companies in China.
Highlights From the 2022 Hurun China Philanthropy List
Other highlights from the 2022 Hurun China Philanthropy List:
- All of the top four individuals donated more than $1 billion.
- 7 of the top 10 philanthropists donated shares in their businesses to form charitable foundations.
- All of the top 10 philanthropists also feature on the 2022 Hurun China Rich List. These individuals have given away 6.3% of their total wealth.
- Half of the philanthropists on the list gave as individuals or families. The other half donated through their companies.
- Education was the leading cause for donations in this year’s list, with 66% of philanthropists making contributions to this area.
- Disaster relief ranked as the second-greatest cause for donations, with 28% of philanthropists on the list making donations to support these issues including the devastating rainstorms and flooding in Henan and Shanxi in 2021.
- Another important focus for philanthropists was rural revitalization with this accounting for 21% of the list’s donations. Rural revitalization is a core aspect of the Chinese government’s strategy to promote greater balance in social and economic development.
Telling The Story of Philanthropy in China
Rupert Hoogewerf, Chairman and Chief Researcher of the Hurun Report, expressed his hope that the impressive generosity of philanthropists like Richard Liu will “encourage more individuals to donate effectively.”
Hoogewerf added: “Philanthropy is important when building a legacy and passing on wealth.”
Learn more about the 2022 Hurun Philanthropy List.
About JD.com (a.k.a. Jingdong)
JD.com, also known as Jingdong, is technology and service enterprise with supply chain at its core. Founded by Richard Qiangdong Liu, JD.com is a renowned leader in China’s e-commerce industry and the company has expanded across retail, technology, logistics, healthcare, insurance, property development, industrials, private label, and international business. Ranking 46 on the Fortune Global 500, JD.com is China’s largest retailer by revenue.
JD.com serves nearly 600 million customers and has set the standard for e-commerce through its commitment to quality, authenticity, and competitive pricing. The company operates the largest logistics infrastructure of any e-commerce company in China, pioneering a standard experience of same- and next-day delivery. JD.com also promotes productivity and innovation across a range of industries by offering its cutting-edge technology and infrastructure to partners, brands, and diverse sectors.